Me and Mom

Me and Mom
Me and Mom.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

One Week of Belly Laughs (Continued)

I was reviewing some old e-mails again from when my mom was in the hospital and I was struck by how much laughter and silliness coexisted with the anxiety and pain.  These correspondences made me smile and reminded me again how love prevails....always.

Day 1
Today I almost orchestrated a fender bender with my mom's car to which my sister responds " ehh, ...ehhhh,....ehhhh" (imagine her voice similar to that of an elderly woman with severe dimentia pointing to an object she can't quite place and moaning in agitation). Weirdest pre-accident alert I have ever experienced.

Day 2
Then there was the waitress who literally bounced to our table and in her best "way-to-peppy-rah-rah- elfin-voice" asked us if we wanted to be "beveraged"? Is that a real thing?

Day 3
I have now integrated the words "Hollah!" and "Booyahhhh...." into my pop slang repertoire. Don't ask me why or how, but the shows "Cougar Town" and "Raising Hope" have had some influence. If you hear my almost-forty-upper-middle-class-white-self say either of these YOU most probably will have a good belly laugh.

Day 4
There was a hospital cafeteria episode. End result...the phrase "taco salad" now cascades a waterfall of giggles.

Day 5
I turn the wrong way EVERYTIME I go to the hospital, I left my purse at the store, I forgot my phone at the hospital and clearly my memory in Singapore.  Either that or my memory has taken a vacation. I am envisioning Memory laying in the sun, soaking up the rays with a tasty umbrella drink.
Hopefully she'll return to me refreshed and energized.

Day  6
My sister and I have resurrected the childhood game of finding the ugliest man in the the crowd and calling it first, "That's your boyfriend!" I'm winning.

Day 7
Other uplifting snap shots........They rolled mom over to wash her....of course her entire backside was smiling at all of us to which a family member says, "God she is big." To which I say "No, she is a Botticelli painting." And she is.

Addendum:  I always win the boyfriend game.  Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment